When Apple released Sierra, the Security System Preference option to let Applications from “Anywhere” run was hidden. OSXDaily has a great little article detailing the reasoning for this and how to turn the back on.
NOTE: This method disables the MacOS GateKeeper security functionality and should only be used by advanced users and developers.
To Restore the “Allow Apps from Anywhere” Security Preference Option:
- Open the Terminal app from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and then enter the following command:
sudo spctl --master-disable
- Press the return key and enter your administrator password.
- Relaunch System Preferences and go to “Security & Privacy”.
- In the “General” tab you will now see the “Anywhere” option under “Allow apps downloaded from:”.
To Return to the Default Gatekeeper Security setting:
- Open the Terminal app and enter the following command:
sudo spctl --master-enable